Monday, June 13, 2011

Wonders of White Bread

White bread has pretty well been banned from my diet for several decades. I have been known to make white bread from scratch, but I don't feel that counts. It has flavor and texture. It's a labor of love, as everyone who eats it, loves it.

Healthy Choice breads have been the staple here for quite a few years now. Del refers to it as Sticks & Twigs. But he eats it. He's grown accustomed to it's flavor and texture. It makes great toast and Del loves his morning toast.

Over the weekend I came into possession of a loaf of store brand white bread. Yes, the soft, white, gushy bread that will easily stick to your teeth. It was intended for fry pies at the camp site, but that never happened. And last night, the craving kicked in hard. Peanut butter and jelly on white bread.

Oh, the sweet softness, the full flavor of the peanut butter and the jelly came through with no interference from the bread. For years I have thought that my sense of taste had diminished so much that I could no longer really enjoy that staple of my childhood. I was so wrong! I was using the wrong bread!

Many will say that PB&J is a child's sandwich and should be left to them. How wrong they are! When I was in basic training at Ft Jackson, SC, I lived on PB&J. I ate it 3 times a day. Standing in line has always bored me and wasted my time. I saved myself a lot of line time by simply getting some bread, peanut butter and jelly from the salad bar along with a glass of milk and enjoying being off of my feet. We really were on our feet a lot in basic, so I cherished any time off of my feet.

While my fellow trainees were standing in chow line at parade rest, I was smearing jelly and peanut butter onto soft white bread and washing it all down with cold milk. Some days I added a salad, but mostly it was the old standard.

I'm not suggesting that everyone pitch their current bread and up the stock in Wonder Bread. But every once in a while, check out your favorite childhood sandwich with some good old white bread. It will taste like mom made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment